Call us now

I agree for Surveyor Local to contact me.


Get a free instant quote for a property survey in Hampshire

The surveyor who produces your report will be local to Hampshire with knowledge of the area. We work with RICS qualified surveyors around the country who offer high quality property surveys at a great price. Surveyor Local gives you piece of mind and offers RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Property Valuations.

Fast turnaround
Fast turnaround

The reports are a fast turnaround while still being accurate, so you'll have everything you need in no time.

RICS qualified
RICS qualified

You can trust our reports as they are all regulated by RICS, assuring standards and professional guidance.

Traffic-light ratings
Traffic-light ratings

Each report comes with a handy traffic-light system to illustrate all aspects of the property clearly.

Surveying in Hampshire made easy with Surveyor Local

Are you planning to buy a property in Hampshire? Then one of the first things you'll need is a property survey. Getting a property survey doesn't have to be complicated. At Surveyor Local we can help you make an informed decision about any property you plan to buy.

We offer Homebuyer Reports (RICS Level 2), Building Surveys (RICS Level 3), and Property Valuations. So get things moving in a matter of moments with an online quote, call us on , or request a callback.

Arranging a building survey in Hampshire

Found a property you want to buy and need to arrange a building survey in Hampshire? No matter which part of this historic county you intend to purchase in, you can arrange the building survey you need through Surveyor Local.

From the biggest towns such as Farnborough, Basingstoke and Aldershot to picturesque and historic spots such as Beaulieu and Whitchurch, Surveyor Local can arrange the essential Hampshire building survey you need.

We only work with chartered Hampshire surveyors registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to guarantee you the highest quality service at affordable prices.

Read on to find the answers to our most frequently asked questions about building surveys in Hampshire.

I'm thinking of buying a Victorian property in Hampshire, is it best to spend a bit more on a full building survey?

If you are buying an unusual type of property such as a period house a Building Surveys (RICS Level 3) is the right type of RICS survey suited to you. Following a thorough inspection of the home's accessible parts, this survey provides in depth details and often crucial information about the home's construction and uses as well as any maintenance needs. If there are any permanent, external buildings, these will also be surveyed as part of the survey.

We're cash buyers. Do we need to bother with any kind of structural survey, or will a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) be enough?

It's always best to be forewarned about any potential issues with a property, and those buying without a mortgage need to protect their investment just as a lender would. A Building Survey (RICS Level 3) is the most comprehensive and technical survey offered by Hampshire RICS surveyors working with Surveyor Local. An examination of the property's accessible areas - both interior and exterior - will inform an in-depth report on its construction, any visible defects and their causes, and any recommendations on repair and maintenance options. A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) would also identify any structural issues, such as subsidence, but this will not be as thorough an examination as the Building Survey.

The Hampshire property we plan to purchase is built on clay soil. Does a survey discuss soil composition the report, and what defects will be reported?

The content of soil around the foundations of a house will have an impact. Specific issues include soil movement. The composition of clay soil varies greatly, with some areas being more susceptible to clay soil subsidence than others, but the effects can be very similar. Some clay soils are prone to creep if the topsoil and property lie on a slope, either as a result of erosion or extreme weather. In rare situations, the soil layer can shift without any warning, creating a landslide which can result in the structural failure and collapse of the whole building. Fortunately, there are steps a homeowner can take. Your surveyor should refer to maintenance options in their report, with options including monitoring the moisture content of the soil around the foundations and detailing steps that can be taken to keep the moisture level reasonably stable. If soil water levels must be kept stable, uniform spread of the moisture is also important. Your surveyor may be able to offer practical suggestions as to how this can be achieved.

I'm thinking of buying a house in the vicinity of a Hampshire conservation area. Is there anything I need to know, particularly in relation to house prices?

Property values tend to be higher in Hampshire conservation areas because many period properties have retained their original character and these areas are largely unspoilt. However, many conservation areas have been neglected and are in a poor state, mostly caused by unauthorised alterations to the fronts, roofs and chimneys of buildings. Hampshire property surveyors are expected to report whether the property looks to be within a conservation area. A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) will suggest additional due diligence and enquiries are raised by your legal representation. Unapproved extensions that do not have Local Authority approval may also be noted in the survey.

When I visited the Hampshire property, I want to buy it looked like there were damaged electrical sockets. Will a surveyor look at the condition of the electrical system?

When carrying out a Hampshire Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) the surveyor will typically report on the condition of the electrics if it is suspected that the electrics are in a dangerous state. Without removing any fittings, this should include an overview of any uncovered parts of the wiring and fuse box as well as any other potential areas of concern. Looking at any evidence from the most recent Periodic Inspection Report handled by an electrician will usually form part of the survey. Verifying the location of the evidence of a test on the condition of the electrical connections carried out by an electrician on the property will be part of the survey. The Institute of Electrical Engineers advises that a Periodic Inspection Report should be carried out every ten years, or every five years if letting out a property.

We are planning to buy a flat in Hampshire, will the surveyor investigate any indications of flooding?

Flooding has blighted the lives of thousands of property owners in Hampshire and across the country. Both buyers and homeowners in areas at a high risk of flooding are right to be worried. Your Hampshire RICS surveyor may use several methods to determine if the house in question is in danger. Flood water can enter a property through a number of routes, including air bricks, poorly fitted doors and windows, and seepage through external walls. Details relating to signs of flooding may be reported in Section J of the Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2). Also included in the Environment Agency's flood danger alert are details of local rivers and other bodies of water that are prone to flooding.

Does a RICS surveyor check out the safety of the gas appliances?

A RICS surveyor will locate and visually check out any easily accessible parts of the system. For instance, the survey will include the location of the meter in addition to gas affiliated installations, such as fixed external ventilation hearths. If there are any gas fittings, they will not actually be taken off. The system will not be tested. Most people are aware that gas can be deadly and if there are any concerns relating to gas installations, call a gas safe engineer.

We are buying a property in Hampshire but are worried about vermin. What advice should we get?

Properties are not usually impacted by serious cases of pest problems but buying without any professional advice on the issue is not recommended. Unfortunately, the impact to a house and its inhabitants can carry serious health risks and affect its value. It may not be obvious that a house is suffering a severe pest problem, as evidence can be overlooked. As an example, irritating cluster flies will hibernate in Autumn, but will return every year without treatment. Treatment for bug or other pest issues may include traps. Rather than pulling out, it may be possible to agree a reduction in the purchase price to cover the cost of remedy.

Arrange your Hampshire building survey with Surveyor Local

Get an online quote or call now on to talk to our friendly team today. You can also request a callback at a time that's most convenient to you. We're open late Monday to Friday and from 10am until 4pm every Saturday.