Call us now

I agree for Surveyor Local to contact me.


Get a free instant quote for a property survey in Kent

The surveyor who produces your report will be local to Kent with knowledge of the area. We work with RICS qualified surveyors around the country who offer high quality property surveys at a great price. Surveyor Local gives you piece of mind and offers RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Property Valuations.

Fast turnaround
Fast turnaround

The reports are a fast turnaround while still being accurate, so you'll have everything you need in no time.

RICS qualified
RICS qualified

You can trust our reports as they are all regulated by RICS, assuring standards and professional guidance.

Traffic-light ratings
Traffic-light ratings

Each report comes with a handy traffic-light system to illustrate all aspects of the property clearly.

Surveying in Kent made easy with Surveyor Local

Are you planning to buy a property in Kent? Then one of the first things you'll need is a property survey. Getting a property survey doesn't have to be complicated. At Surveyor Local we can help you make an informed decision about any property you plan to buy.

We offer Homebuyer Reports (RICS Level 2), Building Surveys (RICS Level 3), and Property Valuations. So get things moving in a matter of moments with an online quote, call us on , or request a callback.

Arranging a building survey in Kent

Found a property you want to buy and need to arrange a building survey in Kent? No matter which part of this historic county you intend to purchase in, you can arrange the building survey you need through Surveyor Local.

From the biggest towns such as Maidstone, Gillingham and Dartford to picturesque and historic spots such as Canterbury and Hever, Surveyor Local can arrange the essential Kent building survey you need.

We only work with chartered Kent surveyors registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to guarantee the highest quality service at affordable prices.

Read on to find the answers to our most frequently asked questions about building surveys in Kent.

I'm thinking of buying a Victorian mid terrace house in Kent, is it best to spend a bit more on a full building survey?

If you are buying an unusual type of property such as a period house a Building Surveys (RICS Level 3) is the right type of RICS survey suited to you. Following a thorough inspection of the home's accessible parts, this survey provides in depth details and often crucial information about the home's construction and uses as well as any maintenance needs. If there are any permanent, external buildings, these will also be surveyed as part of the survey.

What impact does clay soil have on a property's foundations? Can the Kent Homebuyer Survey (RICS Level 2)investigate this?

Clay soil is naturally lower in volume and will compact over several months in the case of new builds. This settlement is predictable and necessary. The real concern is contraction in clay soil caused by changes in the local water table. Visible results may be anything from cracks along a floor or a difficult to open window. There is a real benefit in booking a Kent surveyor to carry out your Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) as they will be familiar with local soil composition and will have witnessed the effects first-hand.

Will the Kent surveyor look for indications of flood damage, or if neighbours' houses have been affected?

Heavy rain, clogged drains and overflowing streams could all cause major flood damage, and it is not clear that reasonably priced flooding insurance will be available in years to come. Your Kent RICS surveyor may use several methods to determine if the property in question is in danger. In addition, the property survey may offer advice to limit damage in the event of flooding. Section J of the survey report contains details, where applicable, of flooding risks found within the boundaries of the residential property or on adjacent sites. The Environment Agency also publish details of previous flood warnings.

Will a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) include information on the condition of the electrics?

When preparing a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2), a Kent RICS chartered surveyor will look at the condition of the electrics, including the fuse board, its age and condition; any visible wiring; electrical fittings such as showers and light fittings. If the electrics are in an unsatisfactory or dangerous state of repair, the surveyor will highlight this in the subsequent report. Where available, the surveyor will also examine any documentation from electrical wiring tests that have been carried out by an electrician.

If intending to buy a house in the vicinity of the Boxley Abbey conservation area, what do I need to be aware of?

Boxley Abbey is in a conservation area that is classified as very bad by English Heritage, with medium vulnerability and deteriorating. There are nearly 10, 000 conservation areas in England and Wales which are overseen by local councils. Boxley Abbey is monitored by Maidstone Borough Council.

Property values tend to be higher in conservation areas because many period properties have retained their original character and these areas are largely unspoilt. However, many conservation areas have been neglected and are in a poor state, mostly caused by unauthorised alterations. Kent property surveyors are expected to report whether the property looks to be within a conservation area.

A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) will suggest additional due diligence and enquiries are raised by your legal representation. Unapproved extensions that do not have Local Authority approval may also be noted.

We are interested in buying a barn conversion in Kent. Which type of survey will reveal if the age of the property is an issue?

The method of construction used in a property may dictate which kind of survey you choose. Older properties built using traditional methods and materials may be more expensive to maintain, while any defects may not be obvious without a detailed inspection. When you instruct a Kent RICS chartered surveyor through Surveyor Local, you get the opportunity to discuss whether the property you intend to buy has any specific issues related to its age or construction type. The surveyor can advise on what survey would best suit your circumstances.

We spotted cracks down the gable wall of the house we intend to purchase. What can be done to remedy subsidence if it is found during the survey?

Subsidence compromises a house's structural integrity. Most homes experience minor cracking, which will not affect the building's structure - particularly new-build properties or those with a recent extension.

Identification is a necessary first step. Removing or even pruning trees that cause subsidence may be enough to halt any further movement. Existing trees must be well managed. New trees should be planted at a safe distance from the exterior walls of the property. If the property's load-bearing parts have been damaged, these may be repaired with steel rods, fixed into place with cement to restore the building's structural integrity. Specialist geological and drain surveys may also be required as the movement of soil can sometimes crack drains or water mains.

Does the chartered surveyor give details on the condition of the gas supply?

Your RICS surveyor will locate and visually examine the accessible parts of the gas system. This will include gas heaters at the home in addition to gas related fittings such as chimney maintenance and the flue. Gas fittings will not be removed, and the system will not be tested at all. Most people are aware that gas is potentially fatal. If you have any worries relating to gas installations at all, we suggest you call a gas engineer.

Gas regulations require that all landlords must complete appliance and installation inspections every year. Non-compliance penalties include heavy fines or imprisonment.

Arrange your Kent building survey with Surveyor Local

Get an online quote or call now on to talk to our friendly team today. You can also request a callback at a time that's most convenient to you. We're open late Monday to Friday and from 10am until 4pm every Saturday.