Call us now

I agree for Surveyor Local to contact me.


Get a free instant quote for a property survey in South West London

The surveyor who produces your report will be local to South West London with knowledge of the area. We work with RICS qualified surveyors around the country who offer high quality property surveys at a great price. Surveyor Local gives you piece of mind and offers RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Property Valuations.

Fast turnaround
Fast turnaround

The reports are a fast turnaround while still being accurate, so you'll have everything you need in no time.

RICS qualified
RICS qualified

You can trust our reports as they are all regulated by RICS, assuring standards and professional guidance.

Traffic-light ratings
Traffic-light ratings

Each report comes with a handy traffic-light system to illustrate all aspects of the property clearly.

Conveyancing in South West London Made Easy with Surveyor Local

Are you planning to buy a property in South West London? Then one of the first things you'll need is a property survey. Getting a property survey doesn't have to be complicated. At Surveyor Local we can help you make an informed decision about any property you plan to buy.

We offer Homebuyer Reports (RICS Level 2), Building Surveys (RICS Level 3), and Property Valuations. So get things moving in a matter of moments with an online quote, call us on , or request a callback.

Arranging a building survey in South West London

No matter which part of this historic city you intend to purchase in, you can quickly and easily arrange the building survey you need through Surveyor Local.

From the biggest neighbourhoods such as Wimbledon, Richmond, Clapham and Battersea to picturesque and historic spots like Nine Elms and Mortlake, Surveyor Local can handle your building survey.

We only work with South West London-based chartered surveyors registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to guarantee the highest quality service at affordable prices.

Read on to find the answers to our most frequently asked questions about building surveys in South West London.

I intend to buy a flat in South West London. What sort of survey should I instruct?

Whatever type of property you intend to buy in South West London, the decision on which building survey is best will depend on several factors. For example, a full structural survey known as a Building Survey (RICS Level 3) will provide a more in-depth examination and explanation of the fabric of a building. This might be more appropriate when buying a flat or apartment because the surveyor can be asked to provide an opinion on shared areas of a property, such as the roof area, hallways and stairwells.

We're cash buyers. Do we need to bother with any kind of structural survey or will a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) be enough?

It's always best to be forewarned about any potential issues with a property, and those buying without a mortgage need to protect their investment just as a lender would. A Building Survey (RICS Level 3) is the most comprehensive and technical survey offered by South West London RICS surveyors working with Surveyor Local. An examination of the property's accessible areas - both interior and exterior - will inform an in-depth report on its construction, any visible defects and their causes, and any recommendations on repair and maintenance options. A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) would also identify any structural issues, such as subsidence, but this will not be as thorough an examination as the Building Survey.

We are interested in buying a listed building in South West London. What should we look out for?

Some buyers have looked at purchasing a home with character. Older construction methods and materials, however, can sometimes be an issue. South West London houses built with traditional methods can be surprisingly expensive to maintain, and you could also be required to find sympathetic construction materials, such as matching stone or wood. You should bear in mind that expert knowledge may be needed. This may mean it is a good idea to discuss current upkeep needs with the seller.

What kind of roof issues would a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) reveal?

A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) uses colour-coded condition ratings that give those purchasing a property clear understanding of any issues. Access to loft or attic space can reveal issues with trusses and supports, torn or punctured damp proofing or missing tiles. Where it is not possible to access the roof for a more thorough inspection, the final report will make this clear.

I'm buying on a South West London property that hasn't been renovated in decades, and I'm concerned there may be asbestos in the interior roof tiles. Will a survey show if asbestos is there?

A building survey will not be able to confirm whether asbestos is present, but the surveyor will note any possibility of the fibre's use and advise where further investigation is required. Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibre that was used in building materials such as flooring and fireplace lining because of its resistance to heat. The product was also used as insulation in ceiling tiles. Asbestos is a hazardous substance, and prolonged exposure to its fibres can lead to lung cancer or asbestosis. Where asbestos is found, it must be removed by professionals who are licensed by the Health & Safety Executive.

The electrics in the South West London terraced house we're bidding on are very old. Does a surveyor look at the safety of the wiring?

Whether carrying out a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) or a Building Survey (RICS Level 3), a chartered surveyor will look at the condition of the electrics, including an overview of the fuse board, its age and condition, any visible wiring, plus electrical fittings such as showers and light fittings. If the electrics are in an unsatisfactory or dangerous state of repair, the surveyor will highlight this in their subsequent report. The surveyor will also examine any documentation from electrical wiring tests carried out by an electrician where this is available.

I've put in an offer in South West London. What recommendations will a South West London property surveyor make?

South West London brick-walled flats can experience distinct issues. These can include efflorescence or crumbling mortar. Defects like these ought to be referenced in the survey, with advice on the consequences were they to go untreated. One frequently reported defect is diagonal cracks which widen as they move upwards. These may result from ground movement, or where a timber element of the wall has rotted away. Styles of brickwork can range from the relatively common, like rowlock, which is often found at the top of a wall, to the rare, such English garden wall bond is often a mix of Flemish and Monk bonds. The consequences of amateur repairs can either worsen the problem or create entirely new defects in a brick wall. Professional advice can reduce the risk of this.

I am purchasing a South West London house and am worried about the implications of clay soil. What should we expect a South West London Home Survey to include?

Soil composition can have a measurable impact on a South West London home. Clay soil is naturally lower in volume and will compact over several months in the case of new builds. This settlement is predictable and necessary - the real concern is contraction in clay soil caused by changes in the local water table. Signs like a sticking door in the bathroom can be an early warning, suggesting severe underlying structural deficiencies. Taking precautions, such as immediately acting to remove standing water around a property, because of heavy rainfall or flooding, can make long term maintenance easier, and keep repair costs manageable. If soil moisture levels must be kept stable, uniform spread of the moisture is essential. Subsidence and heave can be caused by a general increase or decrease in moisture, but isolated patches of wet and dry can just as easily warp foundations, putting them under even greater pressure.

Are South West London properties at risk, and does a RICS surveyor consider indications of flooding?

If you are planning to buy in a flood-affected area, a Homebuyer Report will inform your decision. A surveyor has several options to assess whether a property is vulnerable. The Homebuyer Report may also, where appropriate, advise on urgent repairs. The Homebuyer Report will also include details of any evidence of historical flooding and may comment generally about the area's propensity to flood. The surveyor will usually recommend that the home buyers seek legal advice on any related information mentioned in the report.

What will your Chartered Surveyor consider on a smooth stucco coated regency semi-detached home in South West London that I am thinking of purchasing?

Stucco is a smooth type of render. Normally it is applied to brick that dries to a smooth surface that is sometimes scored to resemble stone. The coating is highly aesthetic and is often found on Victorian and Georgian homes. Sometimes it can have lime in it in addition to a grid underneath to stop cracks. Stucco is often problematic and Surveyors in South West London sometimes reveal any number of problems which can include trapped moisture culminating in problems with damp requiring costly repairs. Another example of problems associated with stucco could be when the application is taken down to ground level bypassing the Damp Proof Course (DPC). Re-covering problems may be costly as the skills are becoming more difficult to find.

Arrange your South West London building survey with Surveyor Local

Get an online quote or call now on to talk to our friendly team today. You can also request a callback at a time that's most convenient to you. We're open late Monday to Friday and from 10am until 4pm every Saturday.