Get a free instant quote for a property survey in Kingston upon Hull

We work with RICS qualified surveyors around the country who offer high quality property surveys at a great price. Surveyor Local gives you piece of mind about your future property, and offers RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Property Valuations.

The surveyor who produces your report will be local to you with local knowledge of the area.

  • Fast turnaround of report
  • RICS qualified surveyor
  • Can help you negotiate on the property price
  • Thorough and accurate report
  • Clear traffic-light ratings for all aspects of the property
Survey Quote in 60 Seconds

We will never share or misuse your details.

Enter your details correctly to ensure your quote is valid

Home Buyers Survey in Kingston upon Hull

  • Next day bookings available
  • Fast turnaround of report
  • RICS surveyors in Kingston upon Hull

The content of survey reports will vary considerably due to factors including the age, type, location and condition of the property, and materials used in its construction.

Click preferred survey type to begin download.

Download sample HomeBuyer Report  HomeBuyer Report sample
Download sample Building Survey  Building Survey sample
Download sample Property Valuation  Property Valuation sample

Survey reports can be large files containing many photos of a property. On slower connections these files may take a short while to download.

Do you need a Home Buyers Survey? Which survey is the right choice?

  • House suitable for a HomeBuyer Report

    Homebuyer Report in Kingston upon Hull

    The Homebuyer Report is the best choice if planning to purchase a home made of conventional materials i.e. brick & tile, in reasonable order and built in the last 100 years. Find out more

  • Property suitable for a Building Survey

    Building Survey in Kingston upon Hull

    The RICS Building Survey (often referred to as a Full Structural Survey in Kingston upon Hull) will also be carried out by a MRICS or FRICS accredited surveyor and is more exhaustive. Choose this for non standard property such as thatched or older homes. Find out more

  • Surveyor carrying out a Property Valuation

    Property Valuation Report in Kingston upon Hull

    This is an independent chartered surveyor valuation of the property. This is typically chosen by mortgage free buyers or someone requiring a formal valuation e.g. matrimonial dispute. Find out more


Kingston upon Hull Surveyors

"Surveyor Local were fast, affordable and thorough. I couldn't fault them in any way."

Home Surveys in Kingston upon Hull

RICS Chartered Surveyors with coverage in Kingston upon Hull and throughout every county of England and Wales.

Kingston upon Hull Surveyors

About Us

Home Buyers Survey in Kingston upon Hull

Building Surveys on houses

If we are buying a dilapidated, Victorian, end-of-terrace home in Kingston-upon-Hull, is it necessary to pay more for the more comprehensive Building Survey?

Whatever your property, you can choose the Building Survey for any property you are planning on buying, but the RICS recommends that it is particularly suitable for:

  • Listed buildings and some properties in conservation areas
  • Properties that were built more than 50 years ago
  • Properties that you want to extend, change significantly, or update in an integral way
  • Buildings that have been recently subjected to such change
  • Properties of an unusual construction, or built with unusual materials, irrespective of their age

The Building Survey report itself covers the following details:

  • Any defects, their criticality and what they mean (structurally and financially)
  • The results of the tests for the presence of radon gas
  • Evidence of subsidence or heave
  • Proximity of any large trees that might impact the foundations
  • Evidence of the presence of any hazardous materials (such as asbestos)
  • The impact of any changes to supporting walls
  • Specific damage to any masonry (inside and out)
  • The results of the tests carried out for damp
  • Any renovations, extensions and changes without the requisite planning consents
  • Specific damage to the roof and chimney stacks
  • Condition of the damp-proof course (DPC) and state of the insulation
  • Damage to timbers (particularly in the roof-space)
  • Evidence of woodworm, and dry or wet rot in timber
  • Advice on drainage that hasn’t been tested
  • Details of materials and construction methods used at the property
  • Recommendations and advice for any further investigations that might be required, in addition recommendations for immediate remedial action
  • specific matters in relation to planning and control for the attention of your conveyancing solicitor

For more information, contact Surveyor Local on 0800 038 6667 to talk to an adviser about your plans and to get set up with a great chartered surveyor. Or use our online quote generator (scroll to the form at the top of this page) to obtain your instant Kingston-upon-Hull home survey quote.

External brick wall issue identified during property survey

We need brick wall maintenance tips, so does a surveyor in Kingston-upon-Hull help with this? Is age a factor?

A range of courses, designs, arrangements, and colours of brick may be found throughout England and Wales, which have been established over the centuries as the principal building material of choice. However, even though it is widely used, maintenance work may be more time-consuming and costly than you assume.

Brick-walled Kingston-upon-Hull residential property can suffer from a range of defects, including frost damage, horizontal cracking, or thermal or other movement, where vertical cracks appear above the level of the damp-proof course, running the full height of the wall, where this seasonal expansion and contraction occurs. The surveyor in Kingston-upon-Hull will include all these types of defects in the survey, with directions for the most appropriate remedy.

Looking for a very experienced chartered surveyor but want a cost-effective option? Then look no further than Surveyor Local. Call us now on 0800 038 6667 and one of our friendly advisers will take you through the process and get your survey under way. Or, if you want to see how low our prices are, why not get your instant survey quote by completing the form at the top of this page?

Traditionally-built property

My partner and I are buying a 17th-century farmstead in Kingston-upon-Hull, but will the residence's age be an issue?

There are many buyers who would really love to own an old, characterful home purely because of that character and the romanticism of its charm and appeal, particularly if it’s coupled with a great location.

With such a dream, though, comes the consideration of the construction and what it means in terms of ongoing maintenance and remedying any existing problems as part of its purchase. This is because such properties are likely to have been built employing the older construction methods and materials, and this might occasionally give buyers second thoughts as a result of the stress and worry about its upkeep.

The obvious traditional (or ‘vernacular’) techniques in the construction include cob (a mixture of clay soil, straw, and sand), wattle and daub (limestone and horse-hair), straw bales, timber beams for wall construction, thatched roofs, adobe, and hemp, all of which can be very challenging to maintain.

You should be aware that expert knowledge may also be needed before buying so that the condition of the materials and structure can be fully checked out and estimates provided for any remedial work. In addition, certain materials suitable for the work may be required to be sourced, particularly if the building is listed or is in a conservation area, which might be expensive.

Speak to your surveyor for more information or call Surveyor Local on 0800 038 6667 to discuss your options with one of our advisers. You can get your instant survey quote in a matter of moments by completing the form at the top of this page.

Landfill site near home

What should we be wary of when buying a property next to a waste site in Kingston-upon-Hull?

A ‘landfill site’ is the generic term given for specialist locations licensed by the government (and the Environment Agency) for any material that won’t be recycled or reused to be dumped, buried or collected in one place. Because of the shortage of new locations for landfill, and the reduction in available space at existing ones, this explains the drive for better recycling options.

However, be aware that recycling areas can present as much of a hazard as the familiar dumping sites, with noxious chemicals spilling into the environment, either in the ground, through the water-table, the drains or airborne, especially where waste is burnt.

Whether it’s a local authority tip, a recycling centre, or a true landfill site, no-one would willingly wish to live in close proximity to one (although the large majority of the British population do). For this reason, it makes complete sense for your surveyor to check out the environmental and structural impact of such necessary waste management sites on the property you are wishing to buy in Kingston-upon-Hull, not only from the environmental side of things but also from the traffic passing in and out of the site and how the vibrations might be impacting the foundations and the environs.

Where there is cause for concern, or if there appears to contamination that is attributable directly to such sites, your surveyor will note this in the report and highlight the severity for remedial action, often placing it in the section for consideration by your conveyancing solicitor to look into with the appropriate authorities.

Your Surveyor Local surveyor will have a deep knowledge of the local area and will therefore be aware of where landfill sites have been closed and built over. In some instances, movement in what has been buried may be a cause or start of subsidence, and they will be able to advise accordingly.

An interactive map of the location of UK’s current operational landfill sites can be found online, such as this one by Anyjunk.

Time to get an appointment with one of the best chartered surveyors available with Surveyor Local. Call our advisers on 0800 038 6667 and we’ll get your survey moving forwards.

Conservation area

Are there any factors we would need to check on when purchasing a home in Kingston-upon-Hull in the vicinity of a conservation area?

There are over 10,500 designated conservation areas throughout England and Wales, all of which are overseen by the requisite local authorities. Your surveyor is required by RICS to have knowledge of any relevant local issues and the effect they might have on the building and its value. Property prices are usually higher in the conservation area than outside, due to the areas being in good order. However, it should also be noted that a large number have been neglected and are in a state of neglect (for example, because of badly-maintained and potholed roads and pavements).

Property surveyors can be expected to tell you whether the property looks like it may be in a conservation area and Section I - Issues for Your Legal Advisers of the Kingston-upon-Hull HomeBuyer Report will advise of any additional enquiries to be forwarded to and carried out by your solicitor. Unsympathetic changes to the property may also be noted in your survey, but these are firmly in the remit of your legal representative.

When you’re assigned a surveyor with Surveyor Local, you’ll get accrued knowledge, long experience, and expert service all at a low cost. To see what we mean, try our instant quote generator via the short form at the top of this page, and, when you’re ready, call our waiting advisers on 0800 038 6667 to get your survey under way today.

House prices

There is a terraced house in the HU1 postcode area priced at £105,000. What does a surveyor consider when calculating house prices in Kingston-upon-Hull?

A qualified RICS surveyor will go to the property as well as considering the wealth of area knowledge and factors that have a bearing on the value of property. There are a huge number of issues that could affect house prices (for example, the quality of nearby schools, or whether the garden is overlooked). It can help to benchmark selling-prices recorded for similar properties in Kingston-upon-Hull.

This means the average price of completed transactions for terraced houses in Kingston-upon-Hull in December 2018 was £97,476, which is £7,524 less than the asking price for the cited property. With regards to other types of property, the averages for the same month in Kingston-upon-Hull were:

PriceProperty type
£112,504All properties

Information © 2019 HM Land Registry. Retrieved from HM Land Registry website on 8 March 2019

An impartial way to get a formal house valuation is with a HomeBuyer Report, which includes a Property Valuation Report (PVR) as a core component. A qualified RICS surveyor will be part of the Valuer Registration Scheme, which reinforces professional standards.

If you need further guidance, why not try our online instant quote generator (scroll to the top of the page and fill in a few pieces of information)? Or you can call our team at Surveyor Local on 0800 038 6667; we’re open 7 days a week.

Gas flame

Does a chartered surveyor report on the serviceability of the gas flues in a maisonette in Kingston-upon-Hull?

Everyone is aware that the volatility and the highly inflammable nature of natural gas make it a very dangerous substance if not regulated and checked by qualified experts. It is also for this reason that, where there is a gas supply to a property, your chartered surveyor will inspect the system.

All work on gas appliances and connection to the mains must comply with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, while any new heat-producing gas appliance installed (e.g. a cooker hob, or gas fire) requires the Local Authority to be informed so that it will comply with building regulations in order to gain the requisite approval.

A certificate of works will be provided by a qualified Gas Safe engineer, and this will be sought and checked for validity and status by the surveyor during the inspection. Regulations legally require landlords to complete appliance and installation inspections annually. Non-compliance penalties include heavy fines and possible criminal records.

As part of the survey, the chartered surveyor will visually check all the accessible parts of the gas system, such as the meter location and position and any gas-connected fixtures like chimney breasts or flues. However, if there are any fittings, they won't be dislodged for inspection, and neither will they remove covers or piping since they are not qualified to do so.

Where the surveyor identifies any area for potential concern, they will note this in the survey report, with recommendations for any remedial action to be taken, alongside a measure of severity. Where a problem is deemed critical, if only for a qualified engineer to check and assess the situation, any significant cost can be used to open up conversations with the seller about the possibility of offsetting such a cost by reducing the asking price.

Gas is potentially hazardous and, should you have any concerns about it, call a Gas Safe engineer. If you smell gas, call the free national Gas Emergency Services number immediately on 0800 111 999.

Local highly-rated Gas Safe engineers in the area can be identified or located at the official Gas Safe Register site.

Worried or concerned about what the survey will find? All Surveyor Local chartered surveyors are trained to communicate the process and keep you up-to-date so you’re always in control and know what’s happening. Call us on 0800 038 6667 to set up an appointment for your survey.

Shocking electrics

When I was shown the mid-century home I want to buy in Kingston-upon-Hull, I noticed that there is an old fuse-board; does a HomeBuyer Report go into detail on the wiring and fuse-box?

All new electrical work needs to be covered under the British standard regulations (BS 7671), which, for residential properties, cover all wiring, the circuit-breakers, residual current devices (RCDs), sockets, and so on, while also focusing on special areas such as bathrooms (e.g. heating or shaving sockets), swimming pools (internal or external), ponds, or portable outdoor equipment.

As part of the building regulations approval in an extension or new-build, or where the electrical circuits have been updated, an electrical certificate, signed off by a qualified electrician, needs to be supplied to comply with the requirements. This document will be sought and checked by your Surveyor Local surveyor.

In addition, the IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) recommends that a periodic inspection be completed every 10 years on private residential property, or every 5 years if you are renting out the property to tenants, or you own a commercial building. Again, your Surveyor Local chartered surveyor will identify the Periodic Inspection Review document’s existence and confirm its validity and status.

When preparing a Kingston-upon-Hull Building Survey or HomeBuyer Report, an RICS surveyor will inspect all accessible parts of the electrical system, noting the location and likely age of the fuse-board, and includes a visual assessment of the superficial parts of the wiring, without taking anything apart for safety reasons. In addition to verifying areas connected to the mains (e.g. the whereabouts of the meter or consumer unit), the surveyor will also choose a selection of sockets and light-switches to ensure they are operating normally.

In the survey report, the surveyor will highlight all of the findings, including identifying those areas that they are unable to access, which might need further investigation by a qualified electrician. Where there are areas of concern, particularly where the electrical circuits and wiring don’t conform to the British standard, the surveyor will recommend that immediate action be taken. It is wise to obtain a couple of quotes for any major rewiring activities, as this can be used to enter into renegotiations over the asking price with the seller.

For your instant Kingston-upon-Hull home survey quote, use our online generator via the simple, short form at the top of this page, or call our survey advisers on 0800 038 6667, and they will get your survey up and running for you.

Landfill site near home

What should we be wary of when buying a property next to a landfill site

Landfill Sites take many forms e.g. domestic waste disposal. Nobody wants to live near one (most people do live near one). Risks might include complex organic chemicals. Health concerns for example spina bifida have been associated to landfill sites .

Surveys in Kingston upon Hull will note structural issues connected with the landfill. Your lawyer will carry out conveyancing and environmental searches of the Environmental Agency databases as well as Kingston upon Hull Local Authority and give you the results of the search .

Conservation area

Are there any factors we would need to check on when purchasing a home in Kingston upon Hull in the vicinity of a conservation area?

There are 9, 300 of designated conservation areas throughout England and Wales which are overseen by local authorities. Your surveyor are required by RICS to have knowledge of relevant local considerations and any effect they have on the building and its value. Property Prices are usually more than prices outside the area due to the areas being in good order. However a large number have been neglected and are in a state of neglect for example - badly maintained and potholed roads and pavements

Property surveyors can be expected to tell you whether the property looks like it may be in a conservation area and Section I Issues for your legal advisers of the Kingston upon Hull Homebuyer Report will advise additional enquiries are carried out by your solicitor. Unsympathetic changes to the property may also be advised in your survey but these are really more a concern for your legal representative. Stamp Jackson and Procter are a local firm situated at 5 Parliament Street, Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU1 2AZ and may be able help you with further information. Tel: 01482 324591