Call us now

I agree for Surveyor Local to contact me.


Get a free instant quote for a property survey in South London

The surveyor who produces your report will be local to South London with knowledge of the area. We work with RICS qualified surveyors around the country who offer high quality property surveys at a great price. Surveyor Local gives you piece of mind and offers RICS HomeBuyer Reports, Building Surveys and Property Valuations.

Fast turnaround
Fast turnaround

The reports are a fast turnaround while still being accurate, so you'll have everything you need in no time.

RICS qualified
RICS qualified

You can trust our reports as they are all regulated by RICS, assuring standards and professional guidance.

Traffic-light ratings
Traffic-light ratings

Each report comes with a handy traffic-light system to illustrate all aspects of the property clearly.

Surveying in South London Made Easy with Surveyor Local

Are you planning to buy a property in South London? Then one of the first things you'll need is a property survey. Getting a property survey doesn't have to be complicated. At Surveyor Local we can help you make an informed decision about any property you plan to buy.

We offer Homebuyer Reports (RICS Level 2), Building Surveys (RICS Level 3), and Property Valuations. So get things moving in a matter of moments with an online quote, call us on , or request a callback.

Arranging a building survey in South London

No matter which part of this historic city you intend to purchase in, you can quickly and easily arrange the building survey you need through Surveyor Local.

From the biggest neighbourhoods such as Brixton, Camberwell, Dulwich and Forest Hill to picturesque and historic spots like Brockley and Greenwich, Surveyor Local can handle your building survey.

We only work with South London-based chartered surveyors registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) to guarantee the highest quality service at affordable prices.

Read on to find the answers to our most frequently asked questions about building surveys in South London.

I intend to buy a flat in South London. What sort of survey should I instruct?

Whatever type of property you intend to buy in South London, the decision on which building survey is best will depend on several factors. For example, a full structural survey known as a Building Survey (RICS Level 3) will provide a more in-depth examination and explanation of the fabric of a building. This might be more appropriate when buying a flat or apartment because the surveyor can be asked to provide an opinion on shared areas of a property, such as the roof area, hallways and stairwells.

We're cash buyers. Do we need to bother with any kind of structural survey or will a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) be enough?

It's always best to be forewarned about any potential issues with a property, and those buying without a mortgage need to protect their investment just as a lender would. A Building Survey (RICS Level 3) is the most comprehensive and technical survey offered by South London RICS surveyors working with Surveyor Local. An examination of the property's accessible areas - both interior and exterior - will inform an in-depth report on its construction, any visible defects and their causes, and any recommendations on repair and maintenance options. A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) would also identify any structural issues, such as subsidence, but this will not be as thorough an examination as the Building Survey.

We are interested in buying a listed building in South London. What should we look out for?

Some buyers have looked at purchasing a home with character. Older construction methods and materials, however, can sometimes be an issue. South London houses built with traditional methods can be surprisingly expensive to maintain, and you could also be required to find sympathetic construction materials, such as matching stone or wood. You should bear in mind that expert knowledge may be needed. This may mean it is a good idea to discuss current upkeep needs with the seller.

What kind of roof issues would a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) reveal?

A Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) uses colour-coded condition ratings that give those purchasing a property clear understanding of any issues. Access to loft or attic space can reveal issues with trusses and supports, torn or punctured damp proofing or missing tiles. Where it is not possible to access the roof for a more thorough inspection, the final report will make this clear.

I'm bidding on a South London property that hasn't been renovated in decades, and I'm concerned there may be asbestos in the interior roof tiles. Will a survey show if asbestos is there?

A building survey will not be able to confirm whether asbestos is present, but the surveyor will note any possibility of the fibre's use and advise where further investigation is required. Asbestos is a naturally occurring fibre that was used in building materials such as flooring and fireplace lining because of its resistance to heat. The product was also used as insulation in ceiling tiles. Asbestos is a hazardous substance, and prolonged exposure to its fibres can lead to lung cancer or asbestosis. Where asbestos is found, it must be removed by professionals who are licensed by the Health & Safety Executive.

The electrics in the South London terraced house we're bidding on are very old. Does a surveyor look at the safety of the wiring?

Whether carrying out a Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2) or a Building Survey (RICS Level 3), a chartered surveyor will look at the condition of the electrics, including an overview of the fuse board, its age and condition, any visible wiring, plus electrical fittings such as showers and light fittings. If the electrics are in an unsatisfactory or dangerous state of repair, the surveyor will highlight this in their subsequent report. The surveyor will also examine any documentation from electrical wiring tests carried out by an electrician where this is available.

Does the chartered surveyor give details on the condition of the gas supply?

Your RICS surveyor will locate and visually examine the accessible parts of the gas system. This will include gas heaters at the home in addition to gas related fittings such as chimney maintenance and the flue. Gas fittings will not be removed, and the system will not be tested at all. Most people are aware that gas is potentially fatal. If you have any worries relating to gas installations at all, we suggest you call a gas engineer.

Gas regulations require that all landlords must complete appliance and installation inspections every year. Non-compliance penalties include heavy fines or imprisonment.

I've put in an offer in South London. What advice would a South London property surveyor give? Does render make a difference?

Brick-constructed converted properties in South London demonstrate several benefits compared to other types of construction, but they can also suffer from both minor and serious issues. These can include lack of a damp proof course or cracks. For example, diagonal cracking is caused by ground movement and may require immediate attention.

A property we intend to buy is built on clay soil. Will a South London Homebuyer Report (RICS Level 2)look into this?

If not monitored appropriately, the makeup of the soil surrounding a property's foundations can create difficulties. Specific problems include soil movement, capable of irreparably damaging a home if untreated. Evidence of clay soil-related problems can sometimes be found throughout a building. Visible results may be anything from minor wall cracks in the bedroom to sticking window frames. Steps like ensuring rainwater goods and drainage all function efficiently can help maintain clay-rich soil, but a purchaser should discuss specifics with the surveyor if extensive upkeep is warranted. If you are particularly concerned about a crack or other sign of movement, the surveyor can also report on whether it is recent, or an indication of much earlier subsidence.

Is heavy rainfall an issue in South London? Will the home buyers survey report on this?

The impact of climate change is widely reported, yet wet weather and the effect it can have on South London houses are rarely considered properly. If you have only visited the residence on a clear day, defects may not have been obvious. Blocked rainwater goods can result in overflowing or blocked sewage. Fortunately, this is quite easy to resolve if maintenance is taken seriously. If left untreated, however, the damage can be very costly and time-consuming to remedy.

We are purchasing an 1870s South London property with stone walls. Which major defects should we consider? Does the surveyor give advice on this?

Poor use of coating can often cause problems for houses in South London with stone walls. Problems which impact stone-built houses in South London can vary greatly, with issues like spalling brick being quite common. Regular stone describes cut stone, generally forming brick-like courses. These may require less maintenance than more irregularly built walls, but this is heavily dependent on the type of stone used. Upkeep advice often given in a survey includes monitoring of natural wear, watching for signs of sudden or severe change.

What sort of issues will the South London Surveyor consider on a roughcast rendered (stucco) regency semi-detached home in South London?

Stucco is really a kind of smooth render. Normally it is layered over underlying brick to form a flat surface, often then trowled to give the appearance of stone blocks. Stucco render is very grand in appearance and is found on Georgian homes. It used to contain lime (to make it workable) in it in addition to a plastic under mesh to stop cracks. It can be problematic and South London Homebuyer Reports commonly focus on any number of problems like trapped moisture leading to damp problems which need attention. Other potential problems could be when the render has been taken down to ground level and bypasses the DPC or Damp-Proof Course. Re-covering problems with stucco may be expensive as craftsmen are becoming rarer.

What is subsidence? What are the risks, and what subsidence issues does the Property Surveyor report on?

Subsidence is defined as movement of the foundations of a home, but some degree of movement will always occur. New properties, for example, will need to settle under the weight of the property. In the case of new builds, the builder should return to a new home after time has passed in order to make repairs. Subsidence can be caused by a range of factors. For example, water leaking from a collapsed drainage will wash soil away from the foundations. This can effectively reduce the volume of the soil surrounding the structure, meaning it can no longer support the weight of the building. Signs of potential subsidence include new, suddenly visible cracks in brick or render. Identifying the cause of subsidence is the first step to its solution. Though tree roots are often the cause, removal of this plant life may make the problem worse, so professional advice should be sought. Existing trees must be well managed, and new trees should be planted at a safe distance from the exterior walls of the property. Beech and sycamore trees, for example, should be planted at least 15m from a property. In serious cases, underpinning may be required. A surveyor will be able to recommend who to speak to about the best course of action, when it comes to tree removal.

Arrange your South London building survey with Surveyor Local

Get an online quote or call now on to talk to our friendly team today. You can also request a callback at a time that's most convenient to you. We're open late Monday to Friday and from 10am until 4pm every Saturday.